Important excerpts from The Hindu:
- PM-JAY – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana
- PM-JAY is the flagship scheme of the government with an aim to bring quality healthcare to around 50 crore poor and vulnerable Indians. The scheme gives annual healthcare benefits of up to Rs.5 lakh for every entitled family.
- PM-JAY aims to ensure improved healthcare delivery, through a combination of government hospitals and strategic purchasing of services from private hospitals, in health care deficit areas.
- How the scheme has performed – Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) which completed an year on Monday (2019) has recorded 46.4 lakh hospital treatments worth Rs.7,500 crore with 60% of the amount being spent on tertiary care. According to figures released by PM-JAY, this has resulted in saving of over Rs.12,000 crore to the beneficiary families. Currently, 32 States and Union Territories are implementing the scheme and more than 10 crore beneficiary cards have been issued.
- Making people aware of their entitlements is a challenge.
Categories: POINT IAS