The textiles sector in India is the biggest employer as well as the biggest exporter. The sector can play a very important role in fulfilling the vision of doubling farmer’s income and creating job opportunities for youth.
The following is a brief of steps that can be taken to ensure improvement in the textile sector in India:
- Close liasioning and co-ordination between the Government agencies and the local elected representatives for making a congenial atmosphere in implementing the various Government initiatives.
- Applications received under subsidy-oriented schemes should be processed in a transparent manner using automation keeping in view the broad objective of each scheme and necessary mechanism should be devised so that personal contact of industry and department can be eliminated and standardized discretion free process.
- Special dispensation for MSME must be done.
- Major issues to be outlined and deliberations with the stakeholders including Banks may be arranged to resolve the issues.
- Formats for submission of Statutory Returns from industry may be simplified.
- Stepping up the productivity of cotton and necessary initiatives to be taken up with the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare. The Cotton Corporation of India may work out possibilities for providing kapas plucking machines to the cotton farmers through Start-ups established by way of availing Mudra Loan and special models to be developed for supporting small players.
- Eliminate the issue of child labour in the Textiles Sector.
- For export promotion activities, broad based industry interaction for developing country oriented comprehensive trade agreement must be held.