Practice Question: Corruption poses multi-layered challenges to the society. Comment.
How does corruption cripple economic growth:
- Corruption transfers inordinate wealth to the undeserving.
- It creates a slew of vested interests, who resist anti-corruption process reforms.
Loopholes in the fight against corruption:
- Narrow, legal definition of corruption enables many in a corrupt system to escape culpability as private corruption is not criminalized.
- E-Governance is often not the effective solution as claimed. E-enabled systems often only relocate the locus of corruption; they do not solve all of it.
- Regular assessments and evaluations of ongoing anti-corruption measures.
- A genuine regime of whistle-blower protection is needed.
- There has to be a conscious move towards promoting ethical behaviour.
Important Quotes from the article:
- “Everybody decries corruption outwardly, but submits to it meekly.”
- …we must understand that the corrupt often use the honest to further their subversive agendas.”
- “If anti-corruption strategies are to be successful, the process needs enlightened leadership.”
Categories: POINT IAS