What is the North East Natural Gas Pipeline Grid (NENGPG)?
The NENGPG is a gas grid being developed by the government to ensure the smooth and continued supply of natural gas in the north-east region. As per the plan, Gas Pipeline Grid would be developed in the eight states of the North-Eastern region i.e. Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura. Total length of pipeline is 1656 KM and tentative project cost is Rs 9265 crore.
How the NENGPG will help the region:
- Economic Benefits – The pipeline grid would ensure reliability and uninterrupted natural gas supplies to the consumers which otherwise gets severely affected due to various reasons in this part of the country. The pipeline will give encourage the development of industrial climate in eight states of the north-eastern region i.e. Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- Improvement in quality of life – Availability of Natural gas across the region is expected to boost industrial growth without impacting the environment and would offer better quality of life to the people in general due to use of cleaner and green fuel which will ensure improvement in the standard of living of peoples living in the region.
- Environmental Benefits – Reduction in the usage of kerosene, wood etc. due to increased usage of environment friendly fuel natural gas thereby improving the environment in the region.
- Boost in Exploration Activities – It will boost Exploration & Production activities and connect regional gas sources with a pipeline network for early monetisation of natural resources in the region.
- Installation of bottling plants – Possibility of installing bottling plants for LPG can be explored for reducing transportation cost.
- Energy Security – Uninterrupted supply of LPG and other value added products can be ensured in the region which will bring energy security to the people in the area. The pipeline will ensure natural gas supplies to various types of consumers viz. Industrial, PNG (Domestic), CNG (Transport) etc. and would immensely help in substituting the liquid fuels.
Practice Question – Elucidate the benefits of the North-East Natural Gas Pipeline Grid currently being developed by the government. How would it impact the life of people living in the north-eastern region of India. – 250 words.
Categories: POINT IAS