Primary Issues associated with Naga Peace Talks –
- The issue of territory – Nagas don’t live in a single territory. They are spread across Manipur, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- The presence of numerous tribes, ethnic and sub-ethnic groups in Nagaland. Taking all of them on board is an issue.
- Heavy taxation on the local population by various insurgent groups.
- The underdevelopment of the region, economic exploitation and rampart corruption makes the situation worse.
- Demand for a separate constitution and a flag.
- Secrecy around the framework Agreement signed on August 3, 2015 between Union government and the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah), or NSCN-IM.
- Any move that is seen as an interference in their way of life is not taken kindly by the Naga tribes.
Categories: POINT IAS