- Nikshay Poshan Yojana (NPY) – The direct benefit transfer (DBT) scheme for nutritional support to Tuberculosis (TB) patients.
- The Mekedatu project – envisages building a balancing reservoir with a storage of 67 thousand million cubic feet (tmc ft), which would also supply drinking water to Bengaluru and Ramanagaram districts, besides generating power. The dam project has been a bone of contention between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- The Kanchenjunga Landscape is a trans-boundary region spread across Nepal, India and Bhutan. The landscape stretches along the southern side of Mount Kanchenjunga covers an area of 25,080 sq km spread across parts of eastern Nepal (21%), Sikkim and West Bengal (56%) and western and south-western parts of Bhutan (23%).
- A committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. Shailesh Nayak was constituted to examine the various issues and concerns of Coastal States/UTs and various other stakeholders and to recommend appropriate changes in the CRZ Notification, 2011.
- The Indian Navy recently inducted its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) System. DSRV is used to rescue crew members stranded in submarines that get disabled. The DSRV can be operated at a depth of 650 meters and can hold around 15 people.
- The Supreme Court recently directed the Union Environment Ministry to declare 10 km area around 21 national parks and wildlife sanctuaries across the country as ‘eco-sensitive zone’. The parks and sanctuaries are the Pobitora sanctuary in Assam; Hemis High Altitude and Kishtewar national parks, Changthang, Hokersar, Trikuta sanctuaries in Jammu and Kashmir; Jogimatti, Thimlapura and Yadahalli Chinkara sanctuaries in Karnataka; Deolgaon Rehekuri and Thane Creek Flamingo sanctuaries and the Malvan marine sanctuary in Maharashtra; Siroi National Park and Khongjaingamba Ching sanctuary in Manipur; Baghmara Pitcher Plant sanctuary in Meghalaya; Fakim and Puliebadze and Rangapahar sanctuaries in Nagaland; Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar bird sanctuary and Pilibhit sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh and the Jorepokhri sanctuary in West Bengal.
- Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Cope India 2018 — the 12-day joint exercise between the U.S. and Indian Air Force was held at the Kalaikunda air station in West Bengal’s Paschim Medinipur district.
- The recently successfully tested Agni-V is India’s longest range ballistic missile.
- Mangalajodi bird sanctuary is on the banks of the Chilika Lake in Odisha.
Categories: POINT IAS
Leave a Reply